Are you tired of the never-ending Instagram scroll? Maybe it’s time to deactivate Instagram to take back control.
If you’re seeking a much-needed break, deactivating is the way to go. It’s simple and temporary, allowing you to come back to your account whenever you’re ready. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a permanent escape, deleting your Instagram account is the way to cut ties with Instagram for good.
However, if you delete your IG account, you need to consider the consequences. All of your content will be gone forever without any way to retrieve it. So, think carefully before making any hasty decisions.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to deactivate Instagram to take back control of your online presence and start prioritizing your mental health. So, fasten your belts, and let’s jump right in.
How to Deactivate Instagram Temporarily on Phone
Here’s how to deactivate Instagram account on phone:
- Open the Instagram app and tap the hamburger icon in the top-right corner.
- Select “Settings” and then “Account”.
- Tap on “Delete Account”.
- Choose “Deactivate account” instead of “Delete account”.
- Select a reason for deactivating your account
- Enter your Instagram password.
- Tap the “Temporarily Deactivate Account” button in blue color.
- Confirm by tapping “Yes.”
- That’s it! Your account is now temporarily deactivated. To reactivate it, simply open the app again and sign in.
How to Deactivate Instagram Account on a Web Browser
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to deactivate Instagram account on a web browser:
- Go to Instagram.com and log in to your account.
- Click on your profile photo icon in the top-right corner.
- Click on the “Edit profile” button at the top of the page.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Temporarily deactivate my account.
- Choose a reason for deactivating from the drop-down menu and enter your password.
- Click on “Temporarily deactivate account”, and then select “Yes” to confirm.
- Your Instagram account is now temporarily disabled. To reactivate it, return to the Instagram website and log in again.
FAQs on How to Deactivate Instagram
If you’re still not sure how to deactivate your Instagram account, keep reading for answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the process. Ready to get started?
Q1. What Are the Differences between Deleting and Deactivating Instagram Accounts?
There are important distinctions between deleting and deactivating an Instagram account, which users should be aware of before making a decision. Let’s take a look at them together:
- Deactivating your Instagram account temporarily hides all your content and profile information from public view. Your profile won’t appear in the search menu for other users either.
- Deactivation allows you to reactivate your Instagram account later, and you can still access your private messages while the account is deactivated.
- Deleting your Instagram account permanently erases all your profile content, including photos, reels, comments, likes, and followers.
- Deletion is irreversible, and you cannot recover any of your profile data once you delete your account. Hence, before deleting your IG account, it is recommended that you download a backup copy of your profile data if you want to access it in the future.
Q2. What Happens When You Deactivate Instagram?
Your Instagram username can’t be searched by anybody, but you still own it. It is possible to reactivate it at any time.
Q3. How Long Can You Deactivate Your Instagram For?
How long you deactivate your Instagram account is up to you. You can deactivate Instagram for one day or several months. Take note that you can only deactivate your account once a week.
You will need to wait a few hours to reactivate your account if you are attempting to do so shortly after disabling it. The account must first finish the deactivation process which can take several hours. If so, simply wait and try again later.
Note: After temporarily deactivating your Instagram account, you may want to reactivate it immediately. However, it is essential to note that the account deactivation process takes some time to complete, which may last for several hours. Therefore, if you attempt to reactivate your account shortly after deactivating it, you will need to wait for a few hours before trying again.
Q4. How to Deactivate Instagram Account on Mobile Twice a Week?
As mentioned before, you can only deactivate your account once a week. However, there is a way to bypass this rule. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Go to your phone’s setting
- Tap on General and then select ‘Time and Date.’
- Then, proceed one week further.
- Now, you can deactivate or reactivate your Instagram account based on the process we explained above.
Q5. Once My Instagram Account Has Been Deactivated, How Long Do I Need to Wait Before Reactivating It?
If you’ve deactivated your Instagram account, you should be aware that it takes at least a day before you can reactivate it. Attempting to reactivate your account immediately after deactivation won’t work. It’s also important to note that deleted accounts cannot be restored.
Q6. Why Do People Deactivate Instagram Accounts?
Here are some reasons why people deactivate their Instagram accounts:
- They need a break from social media or want to reduce screen time
- On the platform, they are experiencing cyberbullying or negativity
- They’re looking to improve their mental health. For example, Elizabeth Olsen deactivated her Instagram account because she said it was bad for her mental health.
- It is for their personal information and privacy that they do this.
- They’re undergoing a major life change, such as a job change or relationship breakup.
- They’re concerned about the impact of social media on their productivity or plan to spend more time on other hobbies or interests.
Do you think we missed any other important reasons to include in the list above? Let us know what you think in the comments.
To summarize, taking a break from social media can be a great way to prioritize your mental health and well-being.
Learning how to deactivate an Instagram on iPhone or the web browser is a simple and easy process that can give you the much-needed break you need. Whether you want to take a break for a few days, weeks, or even months, Instagram’s deactivation option allows you to do so without losing all of your content permanently.
Remember when you deactivate Instagram, your Instagram account will always be there waiting for you when you’re ready to come back.
Check out our blog posts to boost your Instagram knowledge: