You may want to know what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram. One of the best strategies to manage and control interactions with other users on Instagram is to restrict or block them.
By blocking them, they cannot send you DM messages anymore and they will be aware of this, but by restricting them, you can avoid these unpleasant circumstances. Stay with us to understand the difference between Block and Restrict and know what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram.
What Does Restrict Mean on Instagram?
Instagram’s restriction feature tries to limit and even prevent cyberbullying and undesirable interactions and create a more safe community. This feature enables you to limit someone’s access to your account.
It will also impose restrictions on their interactions in different sections such as comments or inboxes. Many people may think that both restriction and blocking are the same, but they are completely different. If you still wonder what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram, read the rest of the article.
What Is the Difference Between Restricted and Blocked on Instagram?
When you block someone, you make it impossible for them to access your account anymore. They cannot even find your account when searching for it. Additionally, you stop them from getting access to your posts, stories, or profile information. And finally, they will figure out you have blocked them. But what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram?
When you restrict someone on Instagram, they can still view your posts and profile. But they cannot get their messages, comments, calls, and other Instagram notifications anymore.
When you restrict someone on IG, their comments on your posts become visible only to them. Therefore, the restricted person’s comments are hidden, meaning they won’t be seen by anyone else. In other words, if you restrict someone on Instagram, only you and the restricted user can see their comments, replies, and reactions to your posts. Other users will not be able to view them.
However, as the account owner, you can view these comments by tapping them. If you choose to do so, you can select the “Approve” option to make the comment visible to everyone.
💥Note: The user does not know that has been restricted and will continue to see and leave comments on your posts.
Read More: How to Mute Someone on Instagram
What Happens When You Restrict Someone on Instagram?
Instagram’s “Restrict” feature allows you to avoid unwanted interactions without notifying your restricted account. As an anti-bullying tool, it provides more control over the comments seen by you and your followers, limiting restricted accounts’ ability to post on your profile.
It’s ideal for handling persistent bullies who leave negative comments and harass you in Direct Messages. Consider it a subtle, yet effective alternative to blocking. If you would like to learn what Instagram-restricted means, continue reading.
- When someone is restricted on Instagram, they can comment on the posts, but no one can view these comments except themselves. You can also manage comments by tapping See comments and then deciding to verify or delete the comments.
- When you restrict someone on Instagram, they can still send you messages and reply to your story. But you can see them in your Requests inbox.
- New messages from a restricted user will be received without any notification.
- You cannot respond to a message from a restricted user without tapping Unrestrict at the bottom.
- Restricted users cannot see the green dot when you are online or active for the last time. In addition, their tags can’t be seen. If they mention you somewhere, you will be notified. This means that Restrict feature is not applicable to the mentions.
How to Restrict Someone on Instagram?
Now you understand what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram. In the next step, you should know how to restrict someone on Instagram. You can restrict someone on Instagram in three ways.
#1 Restrict Someone via Messages
If you’re tired of being bombarded with unwanted messages on Messenger, Messenger’s Restrict feature is here to rescue you. Keep reading to discover how to utilize the Restrict feature and bid farewell to bothersome messages once and for all!
- Open the Instagram platform on your device.
- Choose the messenger icon at the top right
- Now choose the chat you want to restrict
- Touch the user’s name and scroll down
- Select Restrict and approve your choice by touching Restrict Account.
#2 Restricting Someone on Instagram Via Comments
Restricting an account on Instagram can sometimes be the solution when it comes to dealing with spam or offensive comments on your Instagram posts. If you come across such comments under your Instagram posts, you have the option to directly restrict the relevant account from the comment section itself. Simply follow the steps below to use the Restrict feature on Instagram.
- Open the post where the follower has left a comment, and touch View all comments.
- Now, search and find the comment.
- Touch the exclamation icon and select Restrict from the menu.
Both you and the user can view the comment. Additionally, you can Verify or Delete the comments from restricted users.
#3 Restrict Directly from the User’s Account
- On Instagram, find and open the account you wish to restrict.
- open the three-dot icon at the top right side.
- Select Restrict.
How to Know If Someone Restricted You on Instagram?
If you want to know what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram, there are some signs that Instagram restricted account may encounter:
- You are allowed to view their posts, but it is not possible to view their stories or live videos. If you cannot view their stories or live videos, you have been probably restricted.
- Other users may not be able to see the comments that you leave on their posts. If you find out that other users cannot see your comments, you may have been restricted.
- You may not be notified when they upload new posts. If you are not informed when they upload a new post, the user has probably restricted you.
- You can’t see their activity status. If you are not able to view their activity status (their online status), you have been probably restricted.
It’s significant to keep in mind that these signs could also show that the user has just altered their privacy settings or that there is a problem with the app. If you think that someone has restricted you on Instagram, it may be better to communicate with them directly to make sure.
Restrict on Instagram: Conclusion
Now, you know what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram. Restricting someone on Instagram is a helpful feature that enables you to manage and direct your interactions with other users. When you restrict someone, they can’t view your activity status, and you will receive their messages in your message requests folder.
In addition, their comments on your posts will not be visible to other users, and you can check them before publishing them. By benefiting from this feature, you can safeguard yourself from harmful interactions on Instagram and make sure that your experience on the app is pleasant and pleasurable. So, if you are in a situation where you must restrict someone, keep in mind that it’s an easy and efficient way to manage your social media interactions.
Read More from SocialPros:
- How to Hide Instagram Posts From Certain Followers?
- “We Restrict Certain Activity on Instagram”: 10 Best Strategies to Fix Instagram Restrictions”
- How to Hide Who You Follow on Instagram?
- Know and Beat Instagram’s Daily Limits
- How to Remove Followers on Instagram
FAQs on What Happens When You Restrict Someone on Instagram
1. Can I Unrestrict Someone?
Yes, you can lift a restriction from an account whenever you wish. It is just enough to open the user’s profile and click on the three dots or by going to your privacy settings and deleting them from your list of restricted accounts. You can also lift a restriction from their message request.
2. What Is the Difference Between Blocking and Restricting Someone?
Blocking is regarded as an essential measure since someone you’ve blocked can’t communicate with you in any way. Moreover, it’s not difficult to understand when you’re blocked since the profile of the user who blocked you will look empty. You can’t send them a message or leave comments on their posts. They will find out that they are blocked, which can result in disagreeable situations.
Unlike blocking someone, restricting them is much more cautious. Users will still view your posts and will believe that they can still communicate with you just the same. It’s a much more discreet way of staying away from someone without causing disagreement.
3. Will the User Know That I’ve Restricted Them?
One of the major benefits of making use of the restrict feature instead of blocking someone is that this is a finer way of restricting communication. At first sight, they will not understand that they have been restricted. However, if they are determined, they will finally know that something is wrong. The user can use a different account or request a friend to check whether their comment is visible under your post.
4. Can I Run a Group Chat with a Restricted Account?
If you are in a group chat with a follower you’ve restricted, a note will show it. Then, you can choose whether you wish to leave the conversation.
5. When You Restrict Someone on Instagram, Can They View Your Story?
No, restricting someone on Instagram means you wish to restrict communication with the user. Therefore, they can’t view your Instagram stories.
6. When You Restrict Someone on Instagram Can They Still See Your Content?
Restricting a user on Instagram is very much like blocking them—but a little finer. While blocking a user makes your whole feed and stories invisible to them, the restrict feature just makes their comments and messages invisible to you while still letting them see your posts.
7. When You Restrict Someone on Instagram Can They See What You Are Interested in?
If your account is private, only your verified followers can view your posts. Once you like a post, every user can view your like and your username will be noticeable below the post, but just verified followers can see your posts.
8. Why Would You Restrict Someone on Instagram?
The Restrict feature tries to create a more pleasant community and help restrict cyberbullying. This feature alters the way specific accounts can communicate with you through direct messages or in the comments section.
9. Can Restricted Accounts See My Profile Picture?
They cannot see it if they looked. That means they do not have access to your posts, Stories, and profile information—unless they can see your Instagram profile via another profile you haven’t restricted
Want More Real & Engaged Instagram Followers?